enjoy a beautiful song with me

Saturday, December 20, 2008

Preach it Brother!

One night, when I was talking with another pastor in a private conversation and told him that there were things that could be improved in his sermon, and listed out some things specifically. 

Admittedly, I wasn't as gentle as I should have been. This was somewhat the reply I got:

Knowing the facts is one thing, and communicating the facts is quite another. Maybe you should try preaching one day.

Being 20 years old, this was some exciting stuff. It was like "Oh yeah, you want to challenge me?" in my mind. Then I came to my senses a little later.

"Joel, you couldn't be that childish can't you? You want to learn to preach so that you can prove yourself worthy? No Joel, don't be that stupid"

It has been a week or so since that incident. 

Last Friday, I got an opportunity to share from the Bible to a small group of 30 people. I vividly remember that I got 2 other opportunities to speak last time - I was just babbling from my own experience, and trying to make some sense out of the Bible as I was speaking. It was horrible.

But this time, as I was preparing the Bible talk for Friday. I was thinking in my mind... 

"Joel, this time you have come back to Malaysia after claiming to have received sound teaching from the church in Australia. Serve the people well by sharing the Bible clearly, explaining it plainly and don't twist the Bible to suit your message. Don't shame the people that invested in your life. Gahhh! I'm so nervous"

Well, the Bible talk went quite okay. I made mistakes here and there, but generally it went well - its good to have people who are tolerant with you and put up with your mistakes.

Today, I went to church. I heard the sermon. I thought that there were aspects I couldn't agree with - but this time, I don't want to do the simple work and correct only certain points. What could I do?

  • The truth of the matter is that I want to learn to share the Gospel clearly, being faithful to the text.

  • I don't want to be looked down upon also because I am young.

  • But neither do I want to preach the Gospel to prove myself worthy. I think it is a wrong motive altogether.

So, I think I want to take up the challenge:

Study the same passage that was preached. 
Put in time. Take it as a training for the future.

Preach it. Record it. Share it.

This is the current plan now. Am I willing to do it? and stick to it?
Sounds like an exciting challenge if you ask me. I think I want to take it up.

6 comments:

Kai Chi said...

hey..i juz stumble upon ur blog..ur unwavering faith in God impresses me..Plz continue ur great effort and may God alwayz bless u..I wonder how we r to remain faithful although we couldn't see God in action?

Joel said...

hey Kai Chi
You are my primary school classmate yeah?

ehhe, its good to know some of your old school friends have become/are Christians.

Anyway, it is common for a person's faith to waver yeah - if it doesn't it is because God has opened our eyes to see things clearly and enable us to trust Him..

but about your question, what do you mean "although we couldn't see God in action?"

Do you mean something like, we don;t see a lot of miracles in the world today like the dead get raised up?
Or do you mean like "If God is around, why is there still wars?"

Anyways, just in case I cannot get back to your next post in time, I want to invite you to this conference called Fellow Workers Conference from 1st Jan to 3rd Jan at Sepang

You can have a look at what it is @
www.gospelgrowth.com.my under the FWC 09 Tab

Kai Chi said...

I was in 1A when i was at Chen Moh, but later i changed to Puay Chai..But u should have seen me in CHS..I meant that maybe when i couldn't feel God's presence, i dun noe how much faith i could have in Him....i dun noe how to go to Sepang lar...

Joel said...

hey kai chi, i dropped you a message in facebook!

Mark Hollingsworth said...

Joel,
As preachers who have studied preaching, it is sometimes hard not to critique other preachers when we hear them. But we must resist the urge to "help them out" unless they ask for help. We can learn from others' mistakes and our mistakes to become better preachers, but use the opportunity to hear a sermon as an opportunity to get a blessing from God's Word and then be a blessing to the preacher and tell him what you "got" not what you "didn't get."
We get better with study and practice and time and especially with our continued walk with the Lord.
Keep on preaching brother. I will pray for your ministry.
Blessings,
Mark

Joel said...

Thank you mark

= )