enjoy a beautiful song with me

Thursday, January 8, 2009

A Blessing Undisguised

As usual, when I arrive at work, I'll just take out the laptop, and greet some people.

[Joel] says: (9:23:19 AM)
good morning :D

-*rachierach*- says: (9:23:46 AM)
hi :)

-*rachierach*- says: (9:23:54 AM)
how you doing today?

[Joel] says: (9:24:16 AM)
today looks pretty bright

[Joel] says: (9:24:18 AM)
:D

[Joel] says: (9:24:26 AM)
i have things lined up

[Joel] says: (9:24:56 AM)
haha, i just hope that unpleasant things won't suddenly just pop up and spoil it:P

-*rachierach*- says: (9:25:47 AM)
that sounds good :)

-*rachierach*- says: (9:26:14 AM)
and if things do pop up we know it would definitely e with reason so its all cool

-*rachierach*- says: (9:26:16 AM)
:)

-*rachierach*- says: (9:26:41 AM)
of course its easy to say and totally another thing to do

I had the rest of my week planned out. I'm pretty excited to be able to meet some old friends, catch up - and find time to discuss and learn about the Bible. I've been wanting to share with friends and family the things I have learnt about the Bible for quite some time.

And so, my planner is now filled up. Can't think of anything better to do. So Thursday had come, and I am supposed to be having dinner with James and talk about some Bible matters. Having plans to look ahead to, I told Rachel that I'm anticipating the day, hoping that no funny things happen to spoil everything.

And so 6 p.m. came, I walked to my car.

*Click*

(Hmm, why isn't the car unlocked..)

*Click* ....*Click Click Click*.....

*Click* x1000

"Shit!"

(Call Mark, call Mark, calm down, call Mark.....)

Joel: "Eh abang, I click the remote control right... the car door not unlocking. So how ah?"

Mark: "Oh, your car battery dead edi..."
(Its good to have some genius friends. You tell them a little bit, they know what is going on)

Here is what happened(which is the only possible thing that happened in my opinion): 
It was raining sometime in the afternoon, and there was lightning. The thunder was so loud that it set the car alarm off. Me being in the office and pretty far away from my car, didn't hear a thing - until the alarm drained off my battery. 

So, I asked my colleagues to help me jump start the car. Only to realize that without opening the car door, I cannot open the bonnet, and I cannot jump start the car. The problem is this: the keys that I was holding was supposed to unlock the car electronically, and ignite the engine - it couldn't open the car door mechanically. Where were the keys to open the car door?

Well, genius me left it in the car. I never thought I would ever need to use it. Truth be told, I didn't know what the keys were actually for! My dad passed me the remote control along with the set of keys, I just separated them and took the remote control (which has the engine ignition key) It never came across my mind that when the battery goes flat, I would need them.

This meant that I had to go home to take another set of car keys to open the car. And I had to take a KTM from Serdang to Subang Jaya. It was a long long distance. I had to SMS James and told him I couldn't make it today. As I was arranging, I learnt that if I had dinner with him tonight, the meeting could only last a maximum of 90 minutes (which is really short) as he has some errands to do. So I postponed it till Saturday morning, which meant that I would have more time. 2 hours or more I think!

On the way back from KTM, my brother told me that there isn't "another set of car keys" at home. In simple words, my car is totally locked and there is no key to open it. The only thing I could think of is:

a) Break the car glass
b) get a lock smith all the way to Cyberjaya ( convince him it is my car, and help me steal my car)

Both would cost me quite a lot of money. In my mind I was thinking "Oh shit", this is going bad. But I was also remembering the conversation with Rachel in the morning. I convinced myself that this is just to convenient to be an accident - the same morning I said it, it happened. This is the first time in my 3 years of driving experience that I'm encountering it - it is just to convenient for a bad story.

As I was sitting down in the train, I was thinking to myself... perhaps I could use my time wisely. Share the Gospel? Hmm, nah... I can't do follow up and I will leave the person worse than before. So I tried to talk with the person sitting next to me, but the conversation didn't go far. When I switched trains, I got an opportunity to talk to a girl called Nicole. And so I asked her about her work, where she lives, after knowing that she is also getting off the train at Subang Jaya. I got down her MSN, and I look forward to get to know her a little better, and perhaps I might just get the chance to tell her about the God I love.

Before the train arrived, I got a call from Mark. His plan is to help me steal my car, i.e. pick the car lock. Now, you have to know something about Mark. He just finished classes, drove back to Kota Kemuning from Nilai (about 1 hour drive), and he is willing to come to my place (Subang Jaya) to fetch me to Cyberjaya (30 minutes drive) to help me steal my car. You can't get friends like this I tell you.

So while being in his car on the way to Cyberjaya, we were talking about different things. And Mark was telling me that he was having a hard time living with his housemates. By the end of the conversation, I said:

"Eh Mark, after hearing your story right, I become a little less superficial already I think. Next time look for wife, really must marry a good wife ah - if not really suffer. I mean good in heart la. Good wife hard to find"

I'm serious. I'm quite happy that I have good housemates where I stay. mark is a patient guy and he is suffering after living 1 week with his housemates - sadly he is bonded to stay with them for 1 year. I was thinking in my mind, 1 week and it is like that, a life time is going to be hell!

Anyway, we went back to Cyberjaya, and I sat around like an idiot as I see him using some long ruler to try to open the car door, and jump start the car. As he was working with his hands, he was saying:

"Why am I helping a GUY at night ah? Why not a girl ah - haiyooo...."

It reminded me of the many times when I cross the road, I hope that some giant lorry will suddenly turn out of the corner and almost bang a girl.. and then I would dive over, save her and save myself - and she would be so touched. I have been hoping for that day for many years, it never came, and I think it won't. Here is Mark. He helped me with car issues twice, and computer issues also about twice. Too bad, I hope one day some girl's car breaks down and they will call Mark.

After about 15 minutes... *CHAK*

The door opened. In the middle of the night I was (almost yelling):

"Fuiyoh!!! Genius la you, damn canggih man. If I am a woman I will marry you lah! Really one, but I am not a woman lah"

After that, we went back to Subang for mamak, which was also quite good as we talked even more. In my mind I was thinking, "not a bad day at all!". After all, I got to extend the appointment duration with James, catch up with Mark, and get into contact with Nicole. Honestly, I feel very privileged to have more opportunities. I don't want to lock myself out of the car again, but I do hope that more things like that will happen. 




5 comments:

Jeff Chong said...

Wow... What a day.

Hey, I just wanna ask you... When you were in the train.. And talked to someone.. Did you actually know the person or just simply talk to a random stranger?

Mark said...

Hahaha... The dude I saved... Just want to tell I also value our friendship thanks for being my friend. I still remember you helped me out a lot during college time on my studies. Its a good investment after all huh for you hehe...!!

The saving a girl thing statement is just a joke ok nothing serious wan... I still will help you out wan...

How come you didnt talking about the wedding thing wan.. What I told you after I got your car started... *Ngek ngek*

Joel said...

Jeff
I saw this chinese girl lah far, then i ask her if I was in the right platform to go to Subang Jaya (cos i don't always take KTM), then she say yes loh. Then she told me she was going subang jaya also. Then from there we started talking la, ask her about work, about diff stuff. Until now also i haven't seen her online. ah, nvm la...

Mark
Apa wedding?? I dun remember 1???
If something that memalukan... pls don't comment here XD. I don;t mind you tell me in secret... nanti aku delete comment you....

Jeff Chong said...

Cool.. I always had trouble sharing the gospel with ppl whom I dun know... Worrying ppl that they will think that I'm crazy or something. But that's as though I'm afraid/ashamed of the gospel. Sigh. Struggling with this problem..

Joel said...

well, definitely it is hard. honestly speaking, I don't actually think that this whole thing with the girl will go far (as in sharing the Gospel), although it is still possible.

But what I find very helpful to do is to firstly educated professing Christians first. Many Christians who think they are Christians don't really know what the Gospel is... what we can do is to actually meet up with Christians to do stuff like "just for starters"... it would be very helpful for us and for them

of course, we better do our homework before we ever assume a position to instruct others...

as for evangelism, we continue to pray for opportunities, and it will forever take some guts to do it - and as we do it more, though the challenge remains, we will probably be more used to it already. There are wonderful books to read on it, like John Chapman's "know and tell the gospel"