enjoy a beautiful song with me

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Redeeming Time

26 February is coming pretty quickly - time is running out. I hope that before I leave for 18 more months, I will be able to share what God has revealed about Himself through the Bible - I will be able to share this with people whom God has given a heart for the Gospel.

I pray that God will give them a taste for heavenly things, a thirst for His Word - to open their eyes to see, and fill their minds with spiritual understanding... not only them, but me too - as we sit down together to drink deep from His Word.

God's Word reveals that "unless the Lord builds the house, the workers labour in vain"... Unless God is in this, I should just give up. What more - what am I expecting to achieve in a mere 7 weeks? But I trust in God that He is behind this, packing up my timetable to sit down with other people to learn from his Word is something that is in line with God's will, just as it is in line with God's will to preach the Gospel. 

I will just be a little piece of instrument God uses to make a little dot in the lives I meet - there is little reason to think that my 7 weeks to study God's Word with others is wasted - because really, it is God who is more committed to His work compared to me. And so great is God and His plan, such that even if I can be part of His great plan even in the smallest way, there is such great privilege. 

I used to want to be the center of everything, I used to want to bask under the limelight. I am still tempted in that way, but greater is God's grace in me to help me see that to be somehow "lost" in the background of an infinitely greater plan is a greater privilege than to be given the center stage of this world.

As I seek to toil by the strength that He grants me, I know I cannot be given over to the many seductive distractions in life. So subtle are the distractions - such that Jesus' words that calls for our allegiance to Him which ought to be much greater than that of our friends and family - such words become more and more real. It is not so much about choosing plain "good" and "bad", much like choosing "the good" or "the better".

Such busyness also calls for more vigilance. It calls me to depend on God all the more to do His work. Busyness distracts me by its very nature. It is only to easy to let down my guards, and work myself to death forgetting to examine my own heart, whether it is loving ministry more, or God more.

To my Christian brothers and sisters who read this, this is one little thing I would like to ask of you - before you sleep tonight, please take 10 seconds to pray for me? Thats not too much to ask for I hope. I also ought to pray for ourselves, that we may live a gospel centered life, a life that seeks to follow Jesus as Lord, to desire to please God above all things - and enjoying God throughout it all.

No comments: