enjoy a beautiful song with me

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Polycarp

Some bloggers admit that the things they usually type aren't always the most interesting things in the world. As for others, they have yet to repent of their lying.

Bloggers just do what they do - commenting about every crap under the sun: about God, about politics, about how to run the world in a better way - walking the talk by spending most of their time saving the World (of Warcraft).

Not to leave out the other group: How we spend our time taking picture of food, food+myself, shirt, shirt+myself, myself, myself (in acting cute mode) and FINALLY ...the supposedly candid shot of myself.

But I really think what I type makes a difference. I went to university and played enough Diablo and Dotato know what it takes to form a strategy and save the world.

God save the bloggers.

Polycarp (not Poly-Crap: all you world-changing bloggers) was a Christian martyr who lived about 69 A.D. to 155 A.D. This means that he was killed because he believes in Jesus Christ. He also lived just a few decades after the death and resurrection of Jesus. Below is an account of the process of his martyrdom (full article is found here), after being betrayed by a servant:

Then, the proconsul urging him, and saying, Swear, and I will set you at liberty, reproach Christ; Polycarp declared,

Eighty and six years have I served Him, and He never did me any injury: how then can I blaspheme my King and my Saviour?

And when the proconsul yet again pressed him, and said, Swear by the fortune of Caesar, he answered,

Since you are vainly urgent that, as you say, I should swear by the fortune of Caesar, and pretend not to know who and what I am, hear me declare with boldness, I am a Christian. And if you wish to learn what the doctrines of Christianity are, appoint me a day, and you shall hear them.

The proconsul replied, Persuade the people. But Polycarp said,

To you I have thought it right to offer an account [of my faith]; for we are taught to give all due honor (which entails no injury upon ourselves) to the powers and authorities which are ordained of God. But as for these, I do not deem them worthy of receiving any account from me.

The proconsul then said to him, I have wild beasts at hand; to these will I cast you, unless you repent.

But he answered, Call them then, for we are not accustomed to repent of what is good in order to adopt that which is evil; and it is well for me to be changed from what is evil to what is righteous.

But again the proconsul said to him, I will cause you to be consumed by fire, seeing you despise the wild beasts, if you will not repent.

But Polycarp said, You threaten me with fire which burns for an hour, and after a little is extinguished, but are ignorant of the fire of the coming judgment and of eternal punishment, reserved for the ungodly. But why do you tarry? Bring forth what you will.

No comments: