enjoy a beautiful song with me

Monday, February 4, 2008

The Place Where Rejects Go

If some of you know about my past, you would know about the period I was rejected in Form 4. Like a dozen times. That was the time I went to God. I couldn't fit in.

I was not cool, didn't play basketball or football, wasn't scoring too well in my grades, life was boring and laziness was the most reasonable response I can give to anyone.

Well, there were parts I didn't like about myself. But there were also many parts I didn't like about others. Why can't they accept me, I asked myself. But through the years, I suppose that not everybody behaves (or want to) behave like God.

Nowadays, I get rejected once in a while.

Sometimes, there is a sense of vengeance in me. Reject me once, reject me twice - if I happen to be nice, reject me the third time. Thats it. Well - I so wanted to just say I reject you too then. But well, a rejection from a person who is rejected 3 times would probably not mean much.

Well, I'll just go back to God then.

Sometimes, I keep that rejection in my mind and let it brood anger and hatred. It feels so satisfying to stab the person in my mind, make the person a slave - all in my imagination.

Then out of nowhere, often something sparks in my mind.

God accepted me unconditionally. I ought to do the same for others. Other people are like me. Sometimes I am likable, sometimes not so likable. God is patient with me. God is patient with them. Or we would all be dead. Hating other people is un-Christian. Forgive just as I have been forgiven.

Sometimes it feels like crap and I say in my mind...

"Lucky for you, you little idiot, God saved your skin - I'm letting you off just because I trust in God"

Then within a split second, I know what I just said is also true for myself.

But nonetheless, I still hate rejection. And I don't think an average person in the world ever likes it. Its hard not to take it personally. I read of advice all over the place "Don't take it personally". Sometimes, I feel that not taking things personally reduces my ability to communicate with others on a more personal level. Truly, I can't just choose to hear things that I like, and remain deaf to criticisms, even baseless ones.

Whats my philosophy in dealing with rejection? Well, nothing psychologically advanced. I think the best way is to know that Jesus too, has been rejected before - and many in the world continues it. The more important part is that He knows what I feel, and He accepts me.

I have heard Him say "He who lives by the sword, will die by the sword"

Whether there is some profound theology in that, I do not know, but this I know

"He who lives based on the acceptance of others, will be disappointed in the same manner"

I think it is okay for little children to get hurt. Provided that they have a Parent to be there for them. Or else, it probably won't matter too much whether the little child is hurt or not.

I'm glad that God was always there for me. Sometimes I feel that He came a little late. But I know He will always be there for me. Thank you, God.

I would be most happy to hear some stories from the few little readers that I have. Please encourage me, it probably sounds silly - but I think I would be greatly encouraged to hear similar stories.

This little song reminds me many things, I hope it does the same for you too.


3 comments:

Joel said...

Was half asleep this morn, and was remembering some small parts in the Bible.

Many of those Jesus accepted were also the rejects of men. However, those who seem so well accepted was rejected by Him - or better put - rejected Him.

With the power to reject - comes the possibility of rejection.

Hebrews 13:2
Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it.

Contrariwise, it would be good for me not to reject strangers too.

For by doing so, some have rejected Jesus.

clarissaCSL said...

Yo dude, you seem to blog a lot about God...

Anyways, as for the rejection part, dun think about it so much. Just pick yourself up and get on with life.

If that person rejects you after the second time, than that fella is probably not worth the effort anyway.

You already played your part and gave that person a second chance. If he/she doesn't appreciate that, than its their lost.

Joel said...

well, true

however, as much as I say the other person is not worth my effort...

perhaps I am also not worth the other person's time..

When I would want acceptance from someone - it is no longer a matter of who did whose part right? not so much a matter of right or wrong...

To some extent, I'm still glad i think about it... I don;t want to become numb to it