enjoy a beautiful song with me

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

The Australian Experience

Its been 9 months already since I went to UNSW to study. When I entered it, I thought I would go in - join some clubs that would teach me campaigning skills, debating skills, shape my political mindset, and of course get my degree done with flying colours. Perhaps know people all over the world who would shape my mindset positively on whatever areas in life.

Pretty much what your parents expect of you. 
Sometimes they say it out, sometimes they don't.

Well, it turned out that I had to slog to just get revision done, and besides church - have no more time for whatever clubs. But I did get everything I wanted, and more.

I learnt that it is possible for a culture of "esteeming people of all professions equally" to exist. The construction workers dress well. The gardener and the garbage man greets you with a smile. It was weird initially for me, but I slowly caught up and learnt to say hello to strangers - with a smile... to hear them reply back "G'day !"

Now back in Malaysia, I remember to greet the waiters, smile at the janitor, and say thank you to shopkeepers.

Meeting the lecturers, I have learnt that it is possible to be patient enough to repeat what you just said more than 3 times and not blow up. They are happy to hear my questions, and they rejoice when I make progress. 

Now I have learnt to be a little more resistant to the kind of irritation that comes by being bombarded with questions - and be a little more patient. I also learnt not to rejoice at a genius only, but to rejoice when an ordinary person makes progress.

I learnt from the pastors to be diligent in studying the Bible - people might need guidance and ask questions at unexpected times. They are able to piece together different parts of the Bible and put it in an understandable way that is helpful to the hearers... instead of just giving a moral lessons based on some verses they pick out.

Now I learnt that a better understanding of the Bible also means a better understanding of ourselves, the trials that we go through, how to relate to others, and to make sense of this world we live in - economically, politically, and whatever nots.

I also met humble people - who is slowly influencing me to stoop a little lower. Humble people who makes my ego and pride look like pure stupidity... in a loving way.

Besides that, a little time off from people I am close to has made me realize what strings are controlling my life. There are some strings that need strengthening, some need to be cut off.

Of course, I also learnt to cook, do laundry, clean up, and be disciplined. 

When I sit down and think, and look around... 

Countless friends have strayed away from Jesus. 
8 out of 10? Maybe more.

But by some seemingly natural arrangement, I end up being surrounded by people whose zeal for God is only surpassed by their humility to share it with me. I learnt that in life, somethings just can't be repaid. We are just filled with gratefulness and know that it is only right that we pass it on. I also learnt that a lot of things can die off when we are contented with just talking.

God is good. How I wish that everybody can know this good God. 


When you don't know how long you will live, you know that it is never too early to do the important things in life that need to be done in life. I hope that I will be a preacher next time, and watch the effect of Jesus' death and resurrection continuing to change the world.

2 comments:

levinity said...

hi Joel,
do you remember me? I'm levene the girl you met on the plane! was curious and decided to check our ur blog.. v interesting! i like this post esp cos i can totally relate to it! i find it amazing to have met someone like u... and so randomly! take care and keep on loving God and maybe someday we'll meet again!

Joel said...

hi levene
whats your msn?