enjoy a beautiful song with me

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

God Is On My Side?


Who is it? Who is going to win the elections?

Both believes God is on their side

Months and months of campaigning, both of them have picked up bits of Scriptures from the Bible to put in their speeches, both have quoted famous men and women, both have hurled insults that were politically correct and incorrect.

Somehow, when somebody wants to win - God seems obliged to help. Take it from Sarah Palin - the hopeful Republican VP.




"Tomorrow, I hope, I pray, I believe that I'll be able to wake up as vice president-elect and be able to get to work"


At least according to Osama and Friends, Allah seems to be on their side too. Of course, there are other Muslims who are not in the Osama and Friends group, who claim that Allah is not on their side.

America is catching up.

Suddenly, the American generation is somehow the David Generation, somehow it is the Elijah Generation, somehow Barrack Obama has likened himself to Joshua - the successor of Moses. And somehow, the Americans have become the Israelistes.

Most of us, if not all of us want to be someone great, or at least part of something really great.

Like REALLY GREAT.


The idea that God would also want us to be someone great is pretty good too.



"If somehow God endorses my desire for greatness, then I really going to make it"



Not only politicians make us think that way, motivational speakers make us think that way - as though that were not enough: We have pastors and self-proclaimed prophets to make us think that way.


Let me share with you an experience of mine:

About 5 years ago, I was sponsored to attend one of the seminars founded by Robert T. Kiyosaki & Friends. (please pardon me of my "and Friends" thing, when I don't quite remember all the names involved, I just group them together that way).

If some of you don't know who Robert T. Kiyosaki is, you might know his book entitled "Rich Dad Poor Dad". Now this course is much more than being just business in nature, as it seeks to transform your mindset into one that accepts much more possibilities so that you would take hold of more oppurtunities in life, and create the change that you want in life.

Of course, they also teach you necessary skills to make and maintain those changes, while providing lifetime support.

It is here that I met this woman called Shantelle Gold. One of the New Age gurus. Well, the title is actually something like "Clairvoyant and Spiritual Counsellor".

She invited me to have a "session" with her, where she can read my "aura". Of course, I felt very curious. Its not the ordinary RM20 fortune teller that sits around the LRT with a pack of poker cards and a little buddha statue.

Apparently, I have this Bright White aura around me which was not common. She didn't tell me much, and she simply said things like I have great potential, a great leader (or something like that, at least that is what I would like to remember). Come on, I was only 16 years old.


Well, thats a little short story of liking to be someone great. Imagine Bill Gates coming up to you and say:


"Young man, I see great potential in you to be a billionaire richer than I!"


I'd be walking on cloud 9. If the idea of Bill Gates being on my side makes me fly, what makes you think that the idea of GOD being on my side would be any lesser?



The point is this. When we have little hopes that we hope so much for - and somebody comes along and tell us something along the lines we want to hear, everything just works.

They are GOD-SENT!
They are GOD's prophets sent to affirm your quest for greatness!

When you wish for the iPhone 3G or the new Macbook for your Christmas present, and you pray for it, and WALLA! Your parents buy you that very thing for Christmas!

God is so GOOD! HOORAY!







Now, whoever wins the presidential race this time. Half of America will say that he is God-sent. Really?


Now, I hope that you are already convinced that the whole idea of God-sent according to the definition that changes with our fancies is pretty stupid.

The Bible does teach the idea about people being God-sent -The Bible does teach that God has created everybody and placed them in their respective places. God made me Malaysian, male, destined me to be a Christian and study in UNSW and blog on my laptop today.

It couldn't be any other way simply because this is history.

The Bible also teaches that it is God who commands history. History is made in such a way that God is still its Commander when Hitler murdered 6 million Jews, when the bomb fell on Japan, when the woman was raped in the alley.

When Jesus-God Himself was tortured and hung on the cross until He died. That is also history, and God was and is still the Commander.

I do not know the exact reason for these tragic incidents, including the state that America is in now - but I do know that we live in a sinful world, and we are terribly responsible for all the wickedness and destruction there is in the world.

If Allah wasn't FOR Osama,
Osama would probably have made up a new god that would be FOR Osama.

If America learnt that God demands of them something that is inconvenient,
they will look for a new god.

So many people wants Obama to take over the office. He seems to be able to promise so much, and he also seems to be able to deliver it. Pretty much like the way many Malaysians want to see UMNO dethroned. Maybe not.

But this is what the Bible teaches. There is no hope in human governments. Very much like the way I was born Malaysian, the politicians are God-sent by default. They are not necessarily God-sent to make our lives rosier than it is or to fulfill our fanciful wishes. There is nothing wrong to demand a fairer system, one that has more accountability.


I am not being anti-hope, neither am I anti-dreams.
It is more like anti-selfish thinking.

The Bible defines security - not as in political security, or insurance security.
It is the security that you know when God forgives you as you repent of your sins and trust in the sacrifice of Jesus.

The Bible defines riches - not as in Bill Gates, Warren Buffet or Wall Street riches.
Being rich in good deeds, godliness, these are riches. When God grants us forgiveness because of Jesus, that is riches.

The Bible defines greatness - not as in President of the USA, nor the CEO of a Forbes 500, nor the Commander of the Air Force.
It is to serve others in love and humility, following the footsteps of Jesus - to suffer for righteousness sake, to preach the good news so that people may get to heaven.

We should desire such security, such richness, and such greatness. Now, I don't expect many people to have taste for such noble things. For that matter, I don't exactly get thrilled over such noble ideas.

The good part about this is: The fact that we don't always delight in what is really good (or we only delight in what is good when it is convenient), having no pure desires is a good indication that we are wicked to the core. Not only we do wicked things, we think wicked thoughts.

Dear Human-Inspiration,
I am sorry.

I cannot, in good conscience dream the same dreams that you love, neither can I desire to continue desiring the things you continually consider desirable. Even the
Utopian dreams that you have, I am sorry to tell you I cannot sympathize with you that there will be another Saviour in this world. There is one Saviour Jesus Christ, who has declared that He will make a New World.

God's plans is such that people would be disgusted our their sins and realize that
there is a limit to human potential.

Human wickedness is much greater than human potential. Do not underestimate the forces of the dark side.

God's desire is that as they realize, they would resort to nothing else other than seeking undeserved mercy from God alone - whom they have sinned against... by not living their lives according to God who is the rightful King, and consequently hurting one another.

God's desire is that all the nations would recognize the Jesus' love and submit to His Lordship.

Until we realize that we are stubbornly believing in ourselves that the human race can be good one day (which we have failed since the beginning of human civilization), we live as God's enemies.

There is a New World, and the invitation to us is to leave the sinking ship - and board on to Jesus.

Your friend who longs for your enlightenment,
Joel


So:

Yes, God is on our side - If we are willing to give up our rebellion to go to His side.

No, God was never on our side at any point of time in history. It is inconceivable that God would ever take part in our wickedness.

1 comment:

Joel said...

Now, having said these things. To a very large extent, I am being apolitical. But should the need arise, I would take sides for reasons.

I.e. I would vote during election.

If the oppurtunity comes, I might even want to enter parliament.

But to be political does not mean to actually depend on politics to be the end-all solution to the world's woes.

Everybody still have to play their part. The teacher will need to teach. The nurse will need to care for patients, people still have to do their jobs to make the world go round.

P.S. Jesus didn't take part in commiting the wickedness we did. But He did take on Himself all the punishment we deserved